Ogun NUJ Faults Segun Showunmi's Claim On Gathering Of People At Press Centre - THE ENCOUNTER NEWS

Breaking

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Ogun NUJ Faults Segun Showunmi's Claim On Gathering Of People At Press Centre


Michael-Azeez Ogunsiji
ABEOKUTA - Ogun State Council of Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) has refuted the statement credited to the former spokesman for the PDP Presidential candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, Mr. Segun Showunmi alleging gathering of people at the press centre, Iwe-Iroyin house, Abeokuta.

Showunmi had on Tuesday while featuring on a radio programme, claimed that people still disobeyed the social distance order by gathering at the NUJ Press Centre.

The Union in a media release signed by its Caretaker Secretary, Olawale Oluokun said the press centre had been shut a week before the government announced the lockdown and remains closed till date in response to the need for physical distancing to tackle the COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria.

Oluokun further explained that, majority of the people referred to by Segun Sowunmi are journalists on duty who converged at the press centre to file their news stories to their respective headquarters.

He therefore, enjoined the people to disregard the untrue statement of the politician as the people referred to are journalists who will continue to work with constituted authorities and carry out their constitutional duties without fear or favour.

"The attention of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Ogun State Council has been drawn to a statement credited to the former spokesman for the PDP presidential Candidate, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, Mr. Segun Sowunmi while featuring on a Rock City FM programme alleging that people still gather at NUJ Secretariat, Iwe Iroyin, Abeokuta.

"To set the record straight, the Iwe Iroyin Press Centre had been shut a week before the government announced the lockdown and remains closed till date in response to the need for Physical Distancing to tackle the COVID 19 pandemic in Nigeria.

"Again, ninety five percent (95%) of the people referred to are the journalists on line of duty to ensure that Nigerians are fed with accurate and factual information required to tackle the pandemic and enable them cope with the realities of the lockdown while the remaining five percent (5%) are the people securing millions of Naira worth property within the premises and other essential workers in the area.

"The union is hereby using this opportunity to call on the people to discountenance the untrue statement of the politician as the people referred to are journalists who will continue to work in harmony with constituted authorities and carry out their constitutional duties without fear or favour."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages