After Public Outcry, Ogun Government Replaces Wooden Barriers With Iron Poles On Kuto-NNPC Bridges - THE ENCOUNTER NEWS


Sunday, December 26, 2021

After Public Outcry, Ogun Government Replaces Wooden Barriers With Iron Poles On Kuto-NNPC Bridges

ABEOKUTA - Motorists and residents of Abeokuta in Ogun State have applauded the State Government for responding to the cries of the people over what they termed as low standard of the wooden barrier erected at the NNPC bridge.

THE ENCOUNTER NEWS recall that, the State Government had last week erected wooden barriers on Kuto and NNPC flyover bridges to prevent tall vehicles from destroying the surface-to-earth level of the Christmas lights on the bridges.

This ugly development stirs criticisms on social media with many Facebook users mocking the government for depicting the state as 'local' with the wooden barriers.

But in her swift response, the government through the ministry of works and infrastructure removed the wooden barriers and replaced them with a permanent iron pole.

According to a top official in the Ministry, the Barrier was to prevent heavy-duty vehicles from climbing the long bridges.

However, motorists in the state capital have enjoined the state government to install the iron pole barrier at other long bridges in Abeokuta.

According to a taxi driver at Kuto, Mr. Jimoh Aroyewu, the new barrier would not only protect the small vehicles from heavy-duty vehicles but increase the durability of the flyover bridges.

Mr. Jimoh, therefore, urged the government to ensure such barriers are erected at Iyana-Mortuary, Itoku-Sapon, and Ibara bridges.

He affirmed that some heavy-duty vehicles are still plying the Ibara and Iyana-Mortuary bridge at night.

"This is a good one from the Government of Dapo Abiodun. It shows the government is waking up to the realities. This barrier will increase the durability of the bridges if the long vehicles are prevented from climbing the bridges."

Meanwhile, the State Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Engr. Ade Akinsanya refused to comment when contacted.

20 hours after the Commissioner rejected our reporter's several phone calls, he never replied a text message sent to his mobile phone nor returns our WhatsApp chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment